Thursday, October 23, 2008

homemade pumpkins

Yesterday the girls and I made some homemade pumpkins out of cornstarch, baking soda, and water. Really, that's all we used and it was easy! I borrowed the recipe from The Write Start (a fantastic blog, by the way). She used her clay to make bricks with her son, but we thought we'd try pumpkins. They turned out cute!

Directions:
Combine 1 cup cornstarch, 2 cups baking soda, and 1 1/4 cups water in pot. Stir over medium heat until mixture is a wet, mashed potato-like consistency. Scoop mixture onto a plate and cover with damp dish towel until cool. Knead. Roll small portions into balls or pumpkin-shapes, pinch the top slightly for the stem. Let dry overnight (we let our's dry for 24 hours). Paint (we used tempera paint) and use as you wish!

1 comment:

Michaela said...

Can I tell you you gals are lifesavers for me. I use alot of your ideas in mmy class because i need simple cheap art activites to do in class!!!!!! Thanks